Not Signed Up? Enroll Now

Mobile Banking &
Mobile Deposit

Learn More

Trust Online

Apply Now
Text Size Resize text smaller Back to default text size Resize text larger


Frequently Asked Questions

We’ve collected the most Frequently Asked Questions on this page for easy reference. If your question isn’t answered here, please phone us at 906.482.0404 or toll-free at 1.866.482.0404. Thank you for choosing Superior National Bank.

Online & Mobile Banking

Our online banking is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Each evening between 7:30 – 9:00 p.m. we update our bank systems. During this time, you may experience some difficulty with online functions.

Online & Mobile Banking FAQs

Banking More »

Is a minor (someone under 18 years of age) allowed to be a signer on my account?

For a minor to be a signer on a savings account, there must also be a joint account holder over the age of 18 on the same account. Any ATM card attached to the savings account cannot be in the minor’s name.

May I cash a check at the bank if I am not a customer?

If your check is drawn on SNB, you may cash it at any of our branches, provided proper identification is presented. At our discretion, we may also cash payroll/government checks for non-customers for a $5 fee.

What does “drawn on SNB” mean?

Funds that are drawn on SNB mean that the monies are withdrawn from an established account at SNB.

May I cash a check for my friend who isn’t a customer of the bank?

This is a request to cash a Third Party check. A Third Party check is one where ownership of the check is being signed over to someone other than who the check is made out to. We do not cash Third Party checks for customers or non-customers.

What does it mean if my account is ‘In Trust For’ (‘ITF’) or has a beneficiary?

If you have an ‘ITF’ or a beneficiary on your account, it allows for monies in that account to become the property of the named person(s) should all of the account holders pass away. The person(s) named as ‘ITF’ or as a beneficiary are not signers on the account. This is an option you may set up on your checking, savings, or CD accounts at any time by speaking to a customer service representative.

What documentation/information do I need to set up an account?

To set up an account with SNB, you must show a valid photo ID and provide your social security number and current address. Checking and savings accounts both require a $50 minimum deposit at account opening.

What is the cut-off time to get a transaction on today’s work?

Our cut-off time is 5 p.m. each business day, Monday through Friday. Our tellers stagger-balance, so if you need a deposit on that day’s work, please make sure you are working with a teller who is still on the day you need. Holiday hours may be different, so please contact us for more information.

How can I set up direct deposit?

The best way to set up direct deposit of your payroll is directly through your employer. If your employer does not have a form, you may click here for a link to SNB’s generic Direct Deposit form. For the direct deposit of social security, information can be obtained at or by calling 1.800.333.1795.

Can I make a deposit if don’t live near any of the bank’s offices?

You can mail a deposit to PO Box 450, Hancock, MI 49930. Another option to consider is enrolling in Online Banking, our electronic banking service, and signing up for Interbank Transfers. This would allow you to transfer money from your account at a different financial institution to your account at SNB at your own convenience. See our home page to enroll now.

How do I make a deposit if I can’t make it to the bank during business hours?

We have secure, night-depository drops at each branch location.

Does Superior National Bank offer Notary Public services?

Yes, Superior National offers Notary services to the public. We have several Notary Publics on staff that assure a document is authentic, its signature is genuine, and its signer acted without duress or intimidation and intended the terms of the document to be in full force and effect. For your convenience, please phone ahead to the location nearest you to assure a Notary Public is available to meet with you. This service is provided free to SNB customers; there is a charge for non-customers.

Does Superior National Bank offer safe deposit boxes for rent?

Yes. SNB offers a variety of box sizes and rental rates at our main branch in Hancock and our Baraga, Ridgecrest Plaza, Calumet, Mohawk, Chassell and L’Anse offices. See a customer service representative at any of these locations to arrange for a box that meets your needs.

How do I change/update my personal information (i.e. address, phone number)?

We offer you several options to update your personal information:

    1. Call any of our branch locations,
    2. Use our Secure Message Center located on our website,
    3. Mail a request for change to PO Box 450 Hancock, MI 49930, or
    4. Stop by any of our branch locations.

What information will I need to send/receive a wire transfer?

To send a wire transfer, you will need the following information:

    1. The routing number and physical address of the bank receiving the wire
    2. The name, account number, and physical address of the person receiving the wire.

There is a $20 fee for all outgoing domestic wire transfers and $50 fee for international outgoing wires.

For receiving a wire transfer, the sender will need your name, SNB account number, and SNB’s routing number (091101879) and physical address. There is a $5 fee for all incoming wire transfers to your SNB account.

Am I able to reorder checks online?

Yes, checks can be reordered online. Simply click "Reorder Checks" under the Customer Service Center to accomplish this.

Does the bank offer overdraft protection?

Yes. In fact, SNB offers 3 different types of Overdraft Protection:

    1. Bounce Protection – each qualifying checking account is granted this service upon account opening. Bounce Protection allows items to be paid up to the amount of the protection. You will be assessed the current overdraft fee for each item that uses this feature.
    2. Superior Line – this is a service offered through our Loan Department. You must apply for it, and there is a $30 annual fee as well as interest charges.
    3. Sweep – we can set up an automatic sweep from one deposit account to another. If money is swept, you will incur a $5 fee.

How soon are my funds available after deposit?

Funds are available immediately upon deposit unless it is necessary to put a hold on the deposit. If a teller puts a hold on your deposit, you will be informed of and given the reason for this action and provided a date for when the funds will be available.

What is the difference between a cashier’s check and a money order?

Both cashier’s checks and money orders are Official Checks generated by the bank. There is a $1.00 fee for both.

    • A money order is issued for amounts between $.01 and $999.99. The purchaser of the money order must fill out and sign the front of the check before it is valid.
    • A cashier’s check is issued for any amount including and above $1,000.00. It must be signed by a bank employee to be valid and the payee and remitter are automatically filled out when purchased.

back to top

ATM/Debit Cards More »

Does my Debit card expire?

Yes. The typical expiration date for ATM/Debit cards is 3 years from the original order date. Prior to your card expiring, you will automatically receive a new card in the mail. Your original card number and your PIN number will remain the same.

How do I activate my ATM/Debit card?

If you have received a brand new card (ordered for the first time or your old card was lost/stolen), you will also receive a new PIN in a separate mailing. If you receive a card because your old one was expired or you had one reordered, the card number and PIN will be the same. To activate your new card, simply complete a balance inquiry at any ATM or any PIN-based transaction to activate the card.

May I customize my PIN?

Yes. If you have your original PIN, take it to an ATM at any one of our locations.   Once there, insert your card and follow the on-screen prompts.

If you do not know your original PIN, please visit one of the following bank offices and a teller will be happy to assist you in changing the PIN: Hancock (Main Office), Lake Linden, Ridgecrest Plaza, or L’Anse.

What should I do if my card is declined?

Common reasons for an ATM/Debit card being declined include the following: card was not activated, funds are not available, card is expired, card is worn, or fraud is expected on card. If none of these reasons apply or you have a question on why you are being declined, please call any branch for an explanation.

Is there a difference between signing and using my PIN to authorize a transaction?

There is no difference in the way that the funds are taken out of your account if you use a PIN (debit) or sign a receipt (credit).

What fees are assessed when I use my ATM/Debit card?

If you use your ATM/Debit card to withdraw funds at an SNB ATM, you will not be charged any fees. If you use your card at a foreign (other financial institution) machine, you will be subject to their applicable fees. SNB does not charge its customers a fee when they use their SNB card at a foreign machine. There are no fees assessed from SNB when using your Debit card for a point of sale (POS) purchase.

How can I dispute a charge on my ATM/Debit card?

If you discover an unauthorized charge on your account from your ATM/Debit card, call us immediately. We will go through the necessary steps to take care of this situation.

How can I report a lost or stolen ATM/Debit card?

You must call SNB or stop into one of our branch locations to report a lost or stolen ATM/Debit card.

Are there any limits on how much money I can take out of an ATM?

For security reasons, we have set daily ATM withdrawal limits at $250 per day, per card. At your request, this limit may be adjusted.

Are there any limits on how large of a purchase I can make with my debit card?

For security reasons, we have set $2,500 as the daily, per card POS transaction limit. If you know that you will be making a substantial purchase, simply call us or stop by one of our branch locations and we can temporarily adjust your limit.

Will my ATM/Debit card work if I go on vacation (domestic or international)?

If you know that you will be using your debit card while out of the area, let us know ahead of time and we will make a note on your account; you shouldn’t experience any problems using your card while out of town.

What do I do if the ATM did not give me back my card?

If you do not get your card back from an ATM, you must contact the owner of that ATM.

back to top

Lending More »

What type of loans does Superior National Bank offer?

We provide personal, mortgage, and business loans. We can provide financing for just about anything. Contact us at 906.482.0404 or toll-free at 1.866.482.0404 to discuss your individual lending needs.

How do I apply for a loan?

We welcome your phone call at 906.482.0404 or toll-free at 1.866.482.0404 to schedule an appointment with one of our loan officers. You may also stop by one of our offices to meet with a loan officer. Depending upon the type of loan, you might consider our convenient online application process.

What offices of Superior National Bank have loan officers available?

Hancock, Calumet, Baraga, and L’Anse. Does your schedule make next to impossible to reach us during business hours? Contact us at 906.482.0404 or toll-free at 1.866.482.0404 to arrange a meeting that works within your busy schedule.

Are there any down payment requirements for personal loans?

We will finance 100% of a personal loan except for manufactured homes. If you wanted to purchase a manufactured home by itself, we offer personal loans with down payments ranging from 15%-25%.

Does the age of a vehicle affect the interest rate on a loan?

Yes, generally the interest rate is higher for older vehicles.

What can I finance with a personal loan?

Almost all personal items or needs.

What is an escrow account?

Escrow is an account linked to your mortgage loan that can be used to pay homeowner’s insurance, life insurance, and property taxes. A portion of each mortgage loan payment is added to this account. Not all loans have escrow.

Can I have my loan payments automatically taken from my checking or savings account?

Yes, we can set up an automatic funds transfer (AFT) to pull a loan payment from either a checking or savings account.

How long is the draw period for a Home Equity Line of Credit?

We offer Home Equity Lines of Credit with a 5 year draw period and a 10 year repayment period.

Does Superior National offer Small Business Association (SBA) loans?

Yes. We have a dedicated team of lenders available to assist you in obtaining an SBA loan. Is an SBA loan right for you? Contact a Superior National Bank business lender at 906.482.0404 or toll-free at 1.866.482.0404 to discuss your individual situation. You may also use the secure Contact Us message center to begin this process.

What types of loans are available through the SBA?

The SBA offers many types of loans, catering to certain business needs such as working capital, owner-occupied commercial real estate, equipment, business acquisition, refinance of other business debt, buy out of a partner, start-up costs, tenant improvements, etc.

What other requirements does the SBA place on borrowers?

Each SBA loan program has different requirements. Contact a Superior National Bank lending specialist to determine which loan would be best for your business.

How do I apply for an SBA loan?

Contact a Superior National Bank business lender at 906.482.0404 or toll-free at 1.866.482.0404 to begin your application. You may also use the secure Contact Us message center to begin this process.

Why should I go to Superior National Bank for an SBA Loan?

Superior National has a dedicated team of lenders who can guide you through the process easily and efficiently. Contact a loan officer at 906.482.0404 or toll-free at 1.866.482.0404 to begin your application. You may also use the secure Contact Us message center to begin this process.

I’m concerned I may not be able to make my loan or mortgage payment. What should I do?

Superior National is committed to all of our customers. We’re invested in this community and you are part of this investment. If your lending situation has changed and you need to discuss options that may be available to you, contact a lending officer at 906.482.0404 or toll-free at 1.866.482.0404. You may also use the secure Contact Us message center to reach a lending officer.

What’s the difference between a home equity line of credit and a home equity loan?

With a Superior National home equity line of credit, you use the equity in your home to secure a credit line with a variable rate. And you can withdraw funds only when you need to use them – by either writing a check or by withdrawing funds from your line of credit.

A Superior National home equity loan is also based on the equity in your home. However, you receive the entire loan amount in one lump sum.

To learn more about home equity lines, contact a lending officer at 906.482.0404 or toll-free at 1.866.482.0404. You may also use the secure Contact Us message center to reach a lending officer.

back to top

Trust & Financial Services More »

How much money will I need to retire?

Generally, 75% of your pre-retirement income is a good target for retirement income. Of course, spending and saving habits have a large impact on this number. What you are saving, your current debts and what you would like to do after retirement are a couple of things to consider when deciding how much money you may need.

It’s never too late to start building your retirement plan

I have a 401(k) with my former company. Should I roll it over to an IRA?

Rolling over your 401(k) to an IRA offers greater benefits, such as tax advantages and investments into individual stocks and bonds as well as certificates of deposits.

What is a rollover IRA?

A transfer of assets from a retirement plan into a Traditional or Roth IRA.

How do I roll over my 401(k) plan To SNB?

  • Call your prior employer's Human Resources department to get the distribution paperwork.
  • Meet with Superior National Bank’s Trust & Financial Services Department to complete the paperwork and initiate the rollover.

I’m 50 and heard I can contribute more toward retirement. How does it work?

For an individual who is 50 or older, additional contributions can be made toward your retirement plan. The additional contribution that can be made depends on the type of retirement account that you are contributing to. Call Superior National Bank’s Trust & Financial Services Department for the current contribution limits.

What if I got a late start saving for retirement?

Starting late is better than never starting. No matter what your age, if you plan to save and do so, it can grow. Here are a couple of things to consider:

    • If your employer has a retirement plan, and you are permitted to contribute, you should do so. One strategy is to put half of any raises away for retirement.
    • Another common sense strategy is get out of debt, and then continue making those payments to your personal retirement account.
    • If you are 50 or older you can have the benefit of catch up contributions, or more simply put, you can put more money away in retirement accounts than people under age 50.

The facts are the later you start saving for retirement in life the more serious you’ll have to be about it. It can be done with persistence and a plan. So start now regardless of your age.

Can you manage my Non-IRA Investment Account?

Absolutely. Non-IRA investment accounts need just as much attention as any other account. Accounts that are Non-Retirement may need to consider tax free investments as well as a strategy to keep some funds liquid if needed. High quality securities are a major component of these types of accounts. We can develop a specific investment plan to meet your needs, whether it focuses on Income, Growth, or a combination of both.

back to top

Miscellaneous More »

What are the bank’s routing/ABA?


How do I find my account checking account number?

sample check

What are the locations and hours of the bank’s branches and ATMs?

Locations, Hours & ATM’s

What is the bank’s holiday schedule?

  2013 2014 2015 2016
New Year's Day January 1 January 1 January 1 January 1
Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. January 21 January 20 January 19 January 18
Washington's Birthday February 18 February 17 February 16 February 15
Memorial Day May 27 May 26 May 25 May 30
Independence Day July 4 July 4 July 4* July 4
Labor Day September 2 September 1 September 7 September 5
Columbus Day October 14 October 13 October 12 October 10
Veterans Day November 11 November 11 November 11 November 11
Thanksgiving Day November 28 November 27 November 26 November 24
Christmas Day December 25 December 25 December 25 December 26

What is FDIC insurance?

FDIC is the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.  The FDIC is an independent agency of the United States government.  FDIC is insurance that protects deposit accounts, including checking and savings accounts, money market deposit accounts and certificates of deposit at an FDIC insured bank or savings association.  FDIC insurance does not cover other financial products and services that banks may offer, such as stocks, bonds, mutual fund shares, life insurance policies, annuities or securities.

The FDIC Standard Maximum Deposit Insurance Amount (SMDIA) for deposits has been permanently increased to $250,000 per depositor, per insured financial institution.

For more information regarding FDIC insurance, contact the FDIC toll-free at 1.877.ASK.FDIC (1.877.275.3342) or visit

Are my deposits covered by FDIC insurance?

Visit for detailed information on insurance coverage. Additionally, you may access the FDIC’s insurance calculator EDIE (Electronic Deposit Insurance Estimator) at EDIE lets consumers know how the insurance rules and limits apply to a depositor's specific group of deposit accounts—what's insured and what portion (if any) exceeds coverage limits at that bank. EDIE also allows the user to print the report for their records.

Is Superior National Bank on any social media/networking sites?


What are the numbers at the bottom of my check?

sample check

How can I get a copy of my 1099 form?

Simply phone 906.482.0404 or call toll-free at 1.866.482.0404 to request a copy.

back to top